It’s another Covid 19 isolation recipe – sometimes you just need cake to get through the day.
Simple Loaf Recipe
I quite like simple cakes. I enjoy plain sponges with a bit of bite. I’d been craving a simple chocolate chip loaf for a while – used to get them from our local garden center before it closed due to Covid.
I really like using ground nuts in place of a bit of flour. It gives cakes a more substantial texture and richer flavour. Plus, flour is scarce right now!
Whipped Cream Frosting
But then I couldn’t stop thinking about the coconut cream from this peanut butter pie. The texture is so light and whippy and I really fancied some. As shopping opportunities are limited at the minute I couldn’t get hold of any coconut cream so decided to use normal cream.
I much prefer the texture of the whipped cream or mascapone style icings to pure buttercream. That always ends up heavy and grainy when I make it! It’s always mega sweet as well.
This whipped cream icing can be flavoured however you like. It’s just cream whipped up with icing sugar and then I added maple syrup and coffee. I feel like the ground almonds and coffee make this cake a bit more grown up and a little less sweet.
You could definitely top the loaf completely with the frosting and then decorate it with more nuts or chocolate chips. I knew this had to last me a while and didn’t want to waste any so I decided to keep the cream separate in the fridge and just dollop some on slice by slice 🙂
Make It Vegan
This cake could be made vegan using egg replacers, vegan butter, dark choc chips and a cream alternative.
Serve the loaf with the cream and some fresh or frozen mixed berries.
- Loaf Cake
- 185g butter
- 185g sugar
- 3 eggs
- 110 g self raising flour
- 110g ground almonds
- 2 handfuls mixed choc chips
- tsp vanilla extract
- pinch salt
- Whipped Cream Frosting
- 300 ml/half pint double cream
- half tbsp powdered instant coffee
- tbsp maple syrup
- half cup icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180C
- Line a loaf tin
- Whisk together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy
- Gradually add the whisked eggs and beat
- Sieve in the almonds and the flour and stir
- Add the chocolate chips, vanilla and salt and mix
- Put into the tin and bake in the oven for approx 45 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean
- Whip the cream until thickened
- Add the coffee and maple (add to taste and adjust to your liking)
- For extra firmness and sweetness and the icing sugar (you don't have to add it all if it seems sweet enough)
* Cream can be served on top of the cake or alongside
* The cream can be kept fresh in the fridge for 3-4 days