I just love Mexican. It has something for every occasion – rich hearty chillies, quick and easy snacks, fresh and zingy or hot and spicy. I just can’t get enough spicy lately, hence these Broad Bean Quesadillas 🙂
For the last three weeks we’ve been sent broad beans in our organic veg boxes and they were starting to stack up so it was time to put them to good use.
They’re tasty and healthy but the extra effort of double podding them sometimes puts me off. This quick and easy recipe makes short work of them and keeps the light green bean shells on but whizzes them up in a blender to avoid the tough texture.
I don’t know if it’s true in this case but I always feel like if there’s a tough or bitter skin that’s often where the nutrients are. It’s not always practical to eat them though, I went through a phase of trying to eat kiwi skins but the little hairs had me coughing for days!
This though, is easy.
First up boil the beans in some water for about 3-4 minutes.
Whilst they’re cooking combine the other ingredients – chopped lettuce, lime, coriander, spring onions, chilli and oil – in a small bowl.
Once the beans are cooked drain them and blitz them in a mini blender with a little oil and water if needed.
Add this mix to the bowl whilst still warm and let the flavours combine.
Then start making the quesadillas.
Put a tortilla in a dry, hot pan, add the veg mixture and top with cheese.
When the tortilla is golden put another on top and flip it over. A little smoked paprika can be added to the outside for an extra smokey touch.
I served these broad bean quesadillas with smoked rapeseed oil and chipotle mayo 🙂
Health Benefits of Broad Beans
You wouldn’t guess it from this unassuming veg but broad beans are packed full of goodness.
Broad beans (aka fava beans) are really high in protein and fibre as well as antioxidants, vitamins, minerals and plant sterols. They are also an excellent source of folates – perfect for pregnancy!
Vegans could skip the mayo and cheese or replace with your favourite nut based alternative.
- Crispy on the outside, soft in the middle
- Fresh and zingy
- Rich and smoky
- Filled with melted cheese
- Protein, fibre and folates!
These Broad Bean Quesadillas would go perfectly with this Vegan Avocado and Jalapeño Mexican Crema !
Give us a shout if you try this recipe 🙂 #preggieveggie
- Broad Bean Quesadillas
- 200g broad beans
- 200g lettuce
- 1 jalapeno chilli
- 4 spring onions
- 30g coriander
- Half a lime (zest and juice)
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 6 corn tortillas (we used the small yellow Wahacha ones)
- 60g grated mozzarella
- 60g grated cheddar
- Put the broad beans into a pan of boiling water and cook for about 4 minutes
- Peel if desired and then blitz (leave texture a little rough)
- Chop the lettuce and add into a bowl
- Add the sliced raw jalapeno, sliced spring onions, chopped coriander, lime juice/zest and 1 tbsp. olive oil
- Stir in the warm beans
- Put a tortilla in a pan
- Add the bean/lettuce mix on top
- And a sprinkle of mozzarella and cheddar
- Sprinkle with paprika (optional)
- Cook for 2 minutes on each side or until golden and the cheese has melted
- Serve with smoked oil & chipotle mayo (optional)