It was a sad day…..I’d rushed home excitedly with a pack of veggie hotdogs only to find the bread bun drawer barren. 🙁
Not one to be defeated I decided there had to be another way…step up….. TACO DOGS!
Most things are better in a taco and these crispy taco dogs are no different.
Griddled veggie hotdogs brushed with mustard and dill pickle and served in a crispy taco shell with fresh lettuce, coriander, pickled pink onions, sweetcorn relish, charred green peppers and topped with this lime, avocado and jalapeno vegan crema…phew 🙂
Mix and Match BBQ Favourites
This is a very versatile recipe and you can pretty much add whatever you like.
I chopped the veggie hotdogs in half lengthways and heated on a dry griddle. Whilst they cooked I brushed them with this mustard and dill hotdog relish which we had left over from a recent BBQ to give them a bit more flavour.
Then I added some green peppers to the pan until they had a smoky char.
To make the pink pickled onions I just soaked finely chopped red onion in boiling water for a minute or two (this removes the harsh raw onion flavour). Then I soaked them in some spare pickling liquid from a jar of gherkins! If you don’t have any pickles you could make a simple pickling liquid easily though – just use equal parts vinegar and water with optional sugar or whole spices to taste.
All the flavours of a Mexican BBQ!
This recipe is not vegan because the veggie sausages I used contain egg.
To make it vegan replace them with your own favourite vegan sausage, chop up a veggie burger or fry some crispy tofu. Or, I ate these the next day without sausages and added sweet potatoes and extra veg and they were just as good.
These veggie taco dogs are pretty healthy so make a great lunch or addition to any BBQ or Mexican feast. They are low in fat and high in protein with healthy fats from the avocado and cashews in the crema, plus vitamins in all the veg.
For more Mexican meals why not try these Mexican Veggie Tostadas, Broad Bean Quesadillas or Mexican Stuffed Tomatoes.
Let us know if you make these at your next BBQ! #preggieveggie #bunsareboring
- 3 vegetarian hotdogs (or protein of your choice)
- Mustard or mustard relish
- 1 green pepper
- 1 red onion
- Pickling liquor (from a jar of pickles or home made)
- 6 taco shells
- Small bunch coriander
- Sweet corn relish (optional)
- Vegan avocado and jalapeno crema (or sauce of your choice)
- Prepare the vegan avocado and jalapeno crema according to these instructions (optional)
- Heat a dry griddle pan
- Chop the hotdogs in half lengthways and add to the griddle
- Cook for a few minutes each side brushing lightly with mustard
- Chop the green pepper and add that into the griddle until lightly charred
- Chop the red onion finely and soak it in boiling water for 3-5 minutes
- Then soak them in pickling liquor (either made with equal parts vinegar and water plus a tsp or so of sugar) or take from any jar of pickles you already have
- Leave them for a few minutes to absorb the flavour and drain before serving
- Assemble the taco-dogs with lettuce on the bottom, then peppers, hotdogs, pink pickled onions, coriander, sweetcorn and crema.
- Dig in!
* Chipotle mayo would also go well with these instead of the crema