I’ve always had a bit of a sweet tooth but since I’ve been pregnant I feel I’m unstoppable! I need help, a sugar intervention, as I think the weight is really piling on now and I know that’s not good for the baby or my poor bulging clothes.
So here’s a short list of some healthy food ideas for vegetarians and vegans during pregnancy.
- Eggs or tofu scramble
- Wholemeal/seeded toasts
- Homemade healthy muffins or cookies
- Jams, healthy chocolate spreads, honey or syrups
- Meat substitutes – bacon/sausages etc.
- Yoghurts – dairy or vegan subs
- Milk – dairy or vegan subs
- Other healthy cereals
- Chia seed pudding
- Sandwiches – peanut butter, lunch meat subs, cheese – veggie or vegan, chickpea mash
- Salads and vegetables
- Healthy leftovers
- Jacket potatoes
- Quorn or other meat subs
- All the normal healthy meals!
- Protein – eggs, beans, lentils, chickpeas, tofu, seitan, meat subs, tempeh, quinoa
- Cheese – dairy or subs
- Complex carbs – sweet potatoes, grains
- Healthy fats – nuts, seeds and oils
- Wholemeal pasta, noodles, rice
- Cereal bars
- Nuts and seeds
- Dried fruits and raisins
- Fresh fruit
- Healthy-ish treats in small amounts 😉
- Try and limit chocolate by only buying one small bar at a time – stick to dark
- Swap ice cream for sorbet or ‘nice’ cream
- Bin sugary drinks – have fruit juice or fruit teas or no-sugar squash
- Drink more water!
What ideas do you have? Have I missed anything? 🙂