We have just started getting organic vegetable deliveries from Riverford Veg and it’s very exciting every Thursday when they arrive. Sometimes I get a little too veg happy though and over-order. Our poor little fridge can’t cope with the spring greens and kale spilling out of it.
This week we were drowning in leeks. Soooo many leeks. Luckily my hubby loves them and his eyes lit up when he saw me spreading them out on the side, looking perplexed and wondering if he would welcome another ‘leek surprise’.
Fancying something a little different and a bit naughty this is what I came up with. There is quite a lot of pastry involved here which ok, I know, isn’t great for us. But everything else is pretty nutrition packed so I think we can forgive it!
Plus, it really did make those leeks taste pretty damn good.
This leek tart has a buttery puff pastry base, a sweet leek and kale filling and is topped with scamorza cheese (smoked melty mozzarella) and pecan nuts. It’s flavoured with lemon, thyme and tangy balsamic vinegar….yum.
Using the pre-packed puff pastry makes this recipe quick enough for a weeknight meal.
Simply roll out the pastry, score a border and prick the centre.
Cook your leeks and kale with lemon, thyme and garlic then put the filling onto the base, top with the oozy smoked cheese, crunchy pecans and a drizzle of balsamic.
When it comes out of the oven you get a tart that’s dark, crisp and crunchy on top with caramelised nuts, chewy, smoky cheese and soft buttery greens underneath.
- 4 leeks
- 100g kale
- Tbsp. rapeseed oil
- Small knob of butter
- 2 garlic cloves (crushed)
- 4 sprigs of thyme (leaves removed) or 1tsp dried thyme
- Zest and juice of half a lemon
- 1 sheet puff pastry (about 500g)
- 1 ball scamorza cheese, 200g
- Handful pecans (50g)
- Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- Heat the oven to 200C
- Chop and wash the leeks and kale, then heat in a pan with a little oil and a knob of butter
- Add the garlic, thyme and lemon zest
- Line a baking tray with paper
- Roll out the pastry to the size of your tray
- Score a border (about1-2cm) around the edge with a knife and prick the centre all over with a fork
- Once the leeks are softened, add the lemon juice then cool a little.
- Spread over the centre square of the pastry
- Slice the scamorza and place on top of the tart
- Sprinkle over the pecans and drizzle over the balsamic
- Put into the oven
- Check regularly and remove once the pastry has risen and is gold around the edges (about 20 mins)
*Making sure the leeks are as dry as possible before going on the tart will help prevent a soggy bottom.
*Don't be alarmed if the tart looks quite dark, the balsamic caramelises on the cheese to produce a deep glaze.
*To make this recipe vegan omit the butter and sub the cheese for a vegan alternative such as this smoked coconut gouda.
*Rapeseed oil is a source of Omega 3 whilst kale is a good source of vitamin A, C and folic acid.