I love food that has hidden surprises, especially when that surprise is cheese.
These Mexican stuffed tomatoes are filled with a vegetable and bean chilli and generous top and tail helpings of melty mozzarella.
They’re simple to make and the chilli can be used in other ways as well – in pasta, to top baked sweet potatoes or to liven up nachos.
Because I’m always looking for any excuse to eat avocados, I had mine with guacamole. But they will go great with any of your favourite Mexican faves.
They’re super healthy because they’re packed with veggies and protein filled beans.
Buy the biggest tomatoes you can find for this recipe, but don’t worry if you can only find tiddlers. You might just have a bit of chilli left over which can be served alongside.
The recipe calls for a can of mixed taco beans which I like because they’re super easy and come in a ready made sauce. If you prefer to use different beans you can add the centres of the tomatoes that you’ve scooped out to loosen up your chilli a bit or use a can of baked beans and add a little extra chilli sauce for flavour!
If you like Mexican food why not try these vegetable tostadas?
- Stuffed Tomatoes
- 1 onion
- 1 tbsp. rapeseed oil (or oil of your choice)
- 1 red pepper
- 2 cloves garlic
- 200g mushrooms
- tsp paprika
- tsp ground cumin
- tsp ground coriander
- 1 can mixed beans in chilli tomato sauce (or your choice of bean)
- Chipotle Tobasco or other chilli sauce
- 4 large tomatoes
- 1 ball mozzarella
- 2 tbsp. breadcrumbs (optional)
- Dice the onion and add to the pan with the oil to soften
- Dice the red pepper and add
- Slice the garlic and add
- Chop and add the mushrooms
- Add the spices and heat through (approx. 2 mins)
- Add the beans
- Add chipotle Tobasco or other chili sauce
- Cook until warmed through (approx. 5 mins)
- Taste and season
- Cut the tops off the tomatoes and scoop out the middle
- Put a bit of cheese at the bottom, add the bean mixture, then top with cheese and breadcrumbs
- Cook in the oven at around 180C for about 15 minutes or until golden on top
- Serve with guacamole and jalapenos or your favourite Mexican sides