You can’t beat a good burger. I love allll the veggie burger types. This one was sort of created as a vehicle for my Vegan Black Garlic Aioli but it’s good on its own or with your own favourite sauces and sides.
My parents dropped round with a gift of red wine and taleggio the other day – just one reason why I love them 🙂 We had taleggio as part of our wedding meal so it’s a favourite of ours.
This seemed like the perfect way to give the final few morsels a good send off.
It’s sort of a strange cheese because it smells quite strong but actually tastes quite mild. It’s rich and mellow with a fruity tang. The perfect accompaniment to the depth and meatiness of the mushrooms.
The balsamic onions and rocket/basil salad were added to lighten everything up a bit because the mushroom-taleggio-black garlic combo is quite rich.
If you’re a vegan just sub the cheese for your favourite vegan alternative or leave it out and add more black garlic mayo or some chillies – any excuse!
- 1 red onion
- 2 tbsp. light olive oil
- 1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar (optional)
- 2 large mushrooms (Portobello for example)
- 60g taleggio cheese
- 2 ciabatta rolls or bread of your choice
- 50g rocket
- 25g basil
- Preheat the oven to about 180 C
- Heat a frying pan on a low/medium heat with a tablespoon of olive oil
- Slice the red onion and add it to the pan to cook slowly
- After about 10 minutes add a tablespoon of balsamic vinegar and a tsp of sugar (optional)
- Meanwhile drizzle the mushrooms with a little oil, season and put into the oven for about 3 minutes
- Remove from the oven and place the cheese on top
- Add back to the oven for a few minutes until the cheese has melted
- Add the ciabatta roles to the oven to heat through (a couple of minutes), then remove and cut
- Combine the rocket and basil and dress with a little olive oil and balsamic
- To serve, cover bread with some vegan black garlic aioli (or sauce of your choice)
- Place the mushroom atop the salad and top with the onions
* Leave the mushrooms on a windowsill for a few hours during the day to boost their vitamin D through sunlight
* Nutritional info includes sugar and vegan mayo