These Sweetcorn Courgette Pancakes are the perfect start or finish to any day.
Finally Corn Season
My sister has been talking about corn for a while now.
She’s just started growing her own veg and the sweetcorn and beetroot seem to have been some of the biggest successes.
She’s been itching to pick the giant corn for ages but knew the time wasn’t right, until now 🙂
No sooner had she sent me trophy shots of her glorious corn, I had received my own ears in my weekly veg box delivery. How weird are those little furry bits?
Fresh corn is delicious straight from the cob with a little butter, miso paste or oil. This recipe is also great made with slightly older cobbs or frozen or tinned sweetcorn.
Sweetcorn is rich with antioxidants beta-carotene and lutein as well as vitamins B and C plus magnesium and pottasium. It’s high in fibre and, although sweet, contains less sugar than an apple. It’s also one of those vegetables where cooking increases the antioxident levels.
Mexican Savoury Pancakes
These Mexican flavoured corn and courgette pancakes are simple and easy to make, fresh yet satisfying and work well for any meal of the day.
The fluffy, moist pancakes and spotted with charred sweetcorn, fresh courgette and flavoured with chipotle, coriander and paprika.
They’re served here with a juicy homemade salsa, zingy with lime juice.
Once made, the mix can be kept in the fridge for a few days afterwards – we ate these pancakes for lunch, breakfast and tea!
These Sweetcorn Courgette Pancakes would go great with this Vegan Avocado and Jalapeño Mexican Crema!
Let me know how you get on 🙂 #preggieveggie
- Courgettes, 3
- Corn on the cobb, 3 (or sub equivalent frozen or canned)
- Eggs, 3 (omit or sub for vegan version)*
- Red chilli
- Fresh coriander stalks, bunch
- Flour, 1 cup
- Baking soda, tbsp
- ½ cup milk of your choice
- Smoked paprika, tbsp
- Garlic, 3 cloves
- Chipotle chilli or sub any other chilli, 1 chopped
- Roasted red pepper paste, tbsp. (optional)
- Salt and pepper
- Large tomatoes, 2
- Red onion, ½
- Lime juice, 1
- Fresh coriander leaves, bunch
- Red wine vinegar, approx tsp (optional)
- Sugar, approx tsp (or to taste)
- Salt and pepper
- Remove the corn from the cobs
- Heat a large pan and add the corn - allow it to slightly char
- Grate the courgettes and use a clean tea towel or cloth to squeeze out any excess liquid
- Add them to the pan with the chopped garlic and chilli
- After a few minutes add the coriander stalks, smoked parika and season
- In a large jug combine the rest of the ingredients and whisk to combine
- Add the vegetables from the pan to the jug and stir
- Add more flour or milk depending on the consistency (it can vary depending on the courgettes you use) You want it to be thick but light.
- To cook the pancakes put ladles of mix into a lightly oiled pan (medium heat)
- Cook for approx 4 mins on each side or until golden brown
- Enjoy with your favourite sauce, a salad or the salsa below
- To make the salsa simply combine all the ingredients and adjust to taste
*The prepared mix can be kept in the fridge for a good few days afterwards and enjoyed at any time of day!
* Nutritional info includes 1tbsp of olive oil (used to cook pancakes), eggs, soy milk, red pepper paste as the salsa.