These vegan koftes are deep, delicious and moreish. Spiced but not too hot, crispy on the outside and soft in the middle with a deep, charred flavour. They pair perfectly with fresh coriander, smoky hummus and tangy pickled radishes. Soft, grilled courgettes and a few pine nuts complete the meal.
As these have a chickpea base, they have a similar texture to falafels but the larger surface area are rough edges give them a pleasing, crispy texture. The flavours are deeper with sweetness from the red pepper, spice from the harissa and depth from the dried spices and dill.
These vegan koftes are delicious alone, dunked in hummus or served alongside roasted vegetables or a fresh, green salad. The pair perfectly with pickles like these pickled radishes.
They make a great hand held treat – perfect for family feasts or even BBQs. Wrap a couple of these in a soft warm wrap or pitta and pile everything in. Perfect 🙂
These can be re-heated in the oven and actually got better the second time round. Alternatively, freeze before cooking and then cook up later on for a quick and easy mid-week meal.
Let me know if you give this one a try #preggieveggie
For more middle eastern flavours try this Artichoke Spaghetti With Hummus & Dukkah (v), my Kale, Orange & Beetroot Salad With Spiced Halloumi Fries or this Halloumi Burger With Beetroot Relish & Harissa Mayo.
- Vegan Koftes
- ½ tbsp. olive oil
- 1 punnet mushrooms (250g)
- 2 small onions
- 1 large can chickpeas (400g)
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 tbsp. cumin
- 1 tbsp. coriander
- 1 tbsp. dried dill
- 2 tbsp. harissa paste or ½ tbsp. chilli flakes
- 2 handfuls green olives (approx 15 olives)
- 2 tsp mustard
- 4 grilled red peppers (jarred)
- 4 tbsp. vital gluten (or sub 1 egg or flax egg*)
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 bunch coriander (save some for garnish)
- ½ tbsp. olive oil
- 1 courgette
- Radish Pickle
- 1 small bunch radishes
- 2 tbsp. white wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp. water (or use pickling liquid from another product)
- To Serve
- Hummus (I used smoked hummus)
- 8 wraps or pittas
- Fresh coriander
- Preheat the oven to approx. 170C / 340F
- Add the oil to a pan and, once hot, add the mushrooms and chopped onions
- Allow to soften then add the chickpeas
- Cook for 2 minutes then add the tomato paste and spices
- Once heated through add to a food processor with the rest of the kofte ingredients and blitz until smooth, the mixture should be dry enough to mould with your hands
- Make 14 koftes and add them to the oven on a lightly oiled baking sheet
- Meanwhile chop the courgette into thin discs and add to the kofte pan with a little oil
- Cook until softened
- Prepare the pickled radish by mixing chopped radishes with vinegar and water (or use pickling liquid from another product)
- After 30 mins, check the koftes. They should be golden and crisp.
- Remove from the oven and serve on a bed of courgettes with hummus, wraps, fresh coriander and the pickled radish.
* Flax egg is 1 tbsp. ground flax seeds mixed with 2.5 tbsp. of water and left to thicken for 10 minutes